History



The St. Giles Lodge was founded in 1921 by a number of brethren who were Wardens, Past Wardens, sidesmen or choristers of St. Giles Church, West Bridgford. These worthy men adopted the name and the design of the Banner to commemorate this association.

The warrant of the Lodge is dated 13th June 1921, and the Lodge was consecrated on the 12th of October 1921 by V.W.Bro the Reverend H.T.Hayman T.D., M.A., P.G.Chap., D.Pr.G.M., at the Freemasons' Hall West Bridgford.



Founder members of St. Giles Lodge and friends, taken on an
outing to Welbeck Abbey, 6th of July 1922

The Banner


The following narrative on the banner and the legend of St. Giles is reproduced from the original lecture given in 1939 by W.Bro P.W. Hobson who became Master of St. Giles Lodge in October 1930.

The banner is made of light blue silk with a red silk reverse, 48" in length and 32" in width, suspended from the cross bar by eight loops of 2" light blue ribbon. The base forms one large central scallop 15" wide, joined to each side of the banner by a semi-scallop. The scallops are finished with a fringe of corded silk 3" wide, alternatively light blue and white at 2.5" intervals.  Two inches from the top is an ornamental arched streamer. 3” in width, of crimson appliqué, on which the words “St. Giles Lodge” in ornamental Gothic characters are embroidered in gold silk. Three inches below the centre of the streamer the figures “No. 4316” are embroidered in red silk.

Immediately below this is the principle ornament depicted in a stained glass lancet window, 27” in length and 12” in width. It is framed in gold metal with a background of gold silk on which a diaper pattern is outlined in gold metal. A small red silk star is placed in the centre of each diamond on the diaper. Embroidered in silk, in natural colours, is the figure of St. Giles depicted as an aged man with a long white beard and tonsure, surmounted by a golden halo. He stands robed in a Royal blue mantel with a scarlet hood and sleeve edges. The left knee is raised, the unshod left foot resting on a stone. He bears in his left hand a shepherds crook, whilst the right hand protects the shoulder of a hind standing rampant to the right of the Saint, its fore feet resting on his left knee. An arrow pins the hand to the shoulder of the animal, and drops of blood fall from the wound to the flowered ground.

In the diaper background to the right and left of the figure are embroidered in read silk, reading downwards, “IN DEO FIDEMUS” - translated from the Latin as “in God we trust. Attached to the base of the window, 9” in depth and 16” in width, in a frame of gold metal, is a picture in natural colours of St. Giles Church, the Parish Church of West Bridgford. The Square and Compasses are embroidered in gold silk in the central scallop.

The Legend of St. Giles

Saint Giles was an Athenian of Royal Blood who is reputed to have been of a saintly disposition. Going to Church one day he found a poor sick man lying on the pavement. St. Giles thereupon took off his mantle and with it covered the man, who was immediately healed. Embarrassed by the veneration of the people who were attracted by this and other miracles, St. Giles fled from the country and turned hermit. He wandered from one solitude to another until he came to a certain wilderness near to the mouth of the Rhone, about twelve miles from Nimes, where he dwelt in a cave by the side of a clear spring, subsisting on the fruits and herbs of the forest and the milk of a hind which had taken up it’s abode with him.

One day the King of France was hunting in the neighbourhood and the hind, pursued by dogs, fled to the cavern of the Saint and took refuge in his arms. The hunters let fly their arrows and, following the track, were surprised to find in the entrance of the cave a venerable old man protecting the hind, his hand pierced by an arrow. The King and his followers, perceiving a holy man, prostrated themselves and begged forgiveness.

The King was unable to persuade St. Giles to give up his life as a hermit, and the Saint continued to dwell in his retreat until his death many years later.